Friday, August 22, 2014

biology week 9


How do you feel about western approaches to HIV/AIDS?

I think I am very ignorant to western approaches to HIV/AIDS. I have to admit that I feel entirely unqualified to have much of an opinion on this issue. My lack of knowledge, like so many others, is the result of the fact that sex education in the United States was and continues to be abhorrent in most of the country. When I was in high school the sex ed was based on abstinence-only curriculum, we did not learn about condoms or birth control. It is entirely my responsibility to inform myself, but I think it is also important to recognize that our ignorance to preventative approaches limits the manner in which we seek to find cures.

HIV and AIDS remains taboo and our approaches to the infection and syndrom remain treatment focused. Unfortunately, treatment relies entirely on the antiretroviral drugs which are patented and ridiculously expensive.  

 Are we overly reliant on the expectation of the development of a "cure" for HIV?

I think that we are overly reliant on the development of a "cure" for HIV. It seems to take away from a public heath care approach. I would imagine that if we invested equal resources into HIV and education we would have far few people infected. Additionally, if we de stigmatized sex work, drug use and “risky” sexual practices, I bet we would see far less people contracting HIV.

No comments:

Post a Comment